Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Our Cancer Journey, Part Two: He will Hold Us Fast


Last time, I shared about the whirlwind that began with John's diagnosis, and I touched briefly on the faithfulness of God in those early days. I'd like to share more today about God's faithfulness to us, and how he used those 28 days of John's initial treatment in each of us, and in our marriage.

Separate but Together in the Lord
First, I have to say that John and I handled this crisis in very different ways. John is a rock solid, fearless man, at least in my eyes. He has always been a place of safety for me, and I have never worried that he would be unfaithful in any way, or that I would ever be in any danger with him. He is always the calm to my storm, and with few exceptions has never given in to fear or panic. Now, think of the opposite of that, and you have me. I have bounced back and forth between anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember. Led by my emotions, my life was a crazy coaster before salvation, and since I've been saved, it's more like a game of whack-a-mole: I gain victory over fear in one situation, and it pops back up in another one. Clearly these weren't victories, but cease-fires. More on that later.

Being wired so differently had an impact on how we handled this season. John simply put his head down, did what the doctors said, and kept silent. I didn't want to express my fears and sorrow to him, because he needed me to be positive and strong. This was a first for us. This role of the "strong one" was foreign to me and I had no idea how to fill it. Not only that, but my strong protector and place of safety was sick, weak, and unable to provide refuge for me. I began to see that I had been looking to my husband for things only God can give. I was grateful that the Lord allowed me to see this, and I wrote many lines in my journal confessing and repenting of it. We each got through it in our own way, sort of separate but together, as God held us both close to His heart. 

Deep Pain, Abundant Mercies
Those days were bittersweet. We spent more time together than we had in years, yet the reason for our togetherness was dark and heavy. The nurses wanted him to walk the halls several times a day, so we walked together, mostly quiet except for the squeaky wheels of the IV pole that always accompanied us. At the end of the day, we would do one last trip, ending at the door to the air locked unit, where we would kiss goodbye. He would walk alone back to his room, and I would walk alone out into the winding maze of the concrete parking structure, to find my car and drive home. There were few nights I didn't cry as I left. Nothing has ever been as heartbreaking to me as looking back at my poor sweet hubby standing in the hallway in a hospital gown, waving good bye. Most nights, I continued to cry, releasing all the tears I'd held back that day, as I made the 30-minute drive home. I know the Lord was protecting me, because there was no stopping the tears and I made the drive safely every night.

Looking back, I am so grateful for all that the Lord did in my heart and mind during that time. There were no lightning bolts or visions but all along the way, he did small but important things to soften the blow of this illness. John's employer (of just 3 months at the time) was very supportive, and there was never any concern that we would lose our insurance or that he wouldn't have a job when this was all over. There were many days that the Lord miraculously provided a parking space for me in the very crowded parking structure that was always under construction. The bathroom on the unit was off limits to family members, so there was a long walk to the nearest restroom. At first I was afraid this would be too much for my knee, but I never had a moment of pain in the walking, and it really turned out to be a blessing. There were many times I needed that walk to get control of my emotions so I wouldn't cry in front of John. God continually showed Himself faithful in these ways and many more.

When those first 28 days were over, John was declared "in remission" and we were sent home. But the journey was far from over. We had many days of testing and other treatments ahead of us, and also the continued search for a donor. Next time, I'll share with you how God shepherded us through those difficult and fearful steps. 

p.s. I'd like to share with you a book that we read at the time that was very helpful. If you're going through a long, difficult trial, I highly recommend Red Sea Rules.
















No comments:

Post a Comment