Monday, January 6, 2020

Our Cancer Journey, Part Six: Parking Lots, Swimming Pools, and God's Grace

Last time, I shared with you some of the duties and responsibilities of the caregiver in a stem cell transplant case. Reading back through that post, I am reminded of how gracious the Lord was to me during that time. Actually, from the time of the diagnosis and onward through treatment, God kept giving gifts and answering prayers. The most remarkable gift He gave me was a relatively pain-free season! I was sure that with all of the walking I was doing during his hospitalizations, coupled with having no time for the regular therapy I receive, I would be in a great deal of pain. I worried that the high standards of house cleaning would put me over the edge, and I would surely be in trouble. But by God’s grace, that was not the case! In fact, this period of time was probably the best my leg has felt in a while. There were a number of things like this, which God just took care of for me. Even finding a parking spot at the hospital each day was superintended by the Lord, and most days I had no problem. (If you know anything about parking at a major university medical center, then you know what I’m talking about!)

Life in Isolation
For the first 100 days after transplant, John was not allowed to leave our home, nor could he be alone. So if I wanted or needed to go anywhere, I had to find someone to come over and stay with him while I was gone. There were several people who volunteered to shop or run errands for me, and this was very helpful. (Also sanctifying, because I had to accept and appreciate others’ methods and choices in the shopping. This was a real eye opener for me, how very controlling and particular I am!) But I got a little stir crazy, and needed to get out occasionally. I also needed my regular visits to the pool to keep my joints moving and to keep up the strength I needed in those days. The Lord was, once again, so very gracious, providing several men who were willing to come over and visit with John while I went to the pool two days a week. The Lord knew how much I needed that water therapy to keep my leg going for all of the work he’d called me to in this season, and He provided it. What a loving Father He is!

This isolation brought growth in yet another area, regarding loneliness. I am a “people person,” and have never been one who enjoys a lot of alone time. God, in His wisdom, knew that this was an area where I needed to grow so He used it (God wastes nothing) to show me how dependent I had become on the company of friends. He closeted me with just Himself, and I began to see that, though I was physically and circumstantially alone (John was here but not really present), I began to have a sense of His presence with me during that time. My need of Him grew as the isolation went on, and I became more and more aware of His presence with me. It was a very special time of growth for me. I spent more time in the Word and in prayer, and developed a new appreciation for friendship with the Lord which has stayed with me.

Something Must Change
One other conviction I had during this time was the level to which I had allowed my biblical priorities to slip. I had begun working at a biblical counseling center several years earlier, and my role there had become quite consuming. What had started as an intention to do some counseling had morphed into a number of roles that added up to almost full-time work. As the days went on after transplant, I realized how low my role as wife and homemaker had sunk in my priorities, and how elevated my counseling center job had become in how I used my time and energy. As each day passed after transplant and John improved, both the hope that he was going to make it and the realization that something needed to change, grew. It was clear that I needed to come back home and realign my priorities biblically. I resigned from my job and began handing down my responsibilities.

The Lord taught me so much during those 100 days, but the main lesson I came away with is that He is God and I am not. Of course I knew this before, but during this time it became clear to me that I was not living this truth. I was not submitted to His will for my life; I didn’t trust Him to see me through hard things; and I had way too much hope and confidence in myself and my own sufficiency. He taught me these lessons through a thousand tiny details and a few grand revelations. He was gracious and oh so merciful to me, and it has made me a more grateful, humble (I hope) Christian. Next time, I’ll share with you how these new perspectives were challenged when the 100 days were over and some freedoms returned.

3 comments:

  1. I am blessed to read the godly priority you place on your created role as wife and keeper at home! It encourages me to read of all the ways the Lord cared for you as a Shepherd cares for His little lamb...and the grateful heart He gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It encourages me to hear how the Lord has helped you during a time of crisis. I am encouraged as well to see how you processed and applied the lessons the Lord was teaching you. God has been blessing me with very timely blogs in obvious answers to prayer needs. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed to hear how the Lord protected and cared for you so that you could give your best care to your husband. I can appreciate the Lord giving you a good parking spot ! He’s done that faithfully for me !

    ReplyDelete