Monday, January 27, 2020

Our Cancer Journey, Part Nine: The One-Year Mark

In my last post, I shared how we slowly got back to normal (whatever that is!) as John recovered from chemotherapy, radiation, and a stem cell transplant after being diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia in May of 2018. It was like a whole new world for us that spring, as we slowly ventured back out into life. We began to go thrift shopping together again—something we’d always enjoyed--and it was so wonderful! In fact, it was almost surreal to be doing regular things again after such a traumatic series of events over the course of a year. We were so grateful, and full of joy at this opportunity to continue life together after thinking that might not happen.

Testing, Testing 123
About this time, they began to schedule our one-year post-transplant follow up testing. This included some tests for GVHD, a disease that can happen as a result of donor cells and host cells battling for dominion in the body. This can be deadly, but by the grace of God, John never had any symptoms of this dreaded disease, which had struck fear in me from the moment I heard about it. Along with those tests, John would have another bone marrow biopsy to make sure he was still in remission. This test would also show whether he was still 100% donor. This is also called a chimerism, or engraftment test. At each of his previous engraftment tests, the results had shown 100% donor cells in the sample. This means it is very unlikely that his own cells will return, threatening a relapse of the original disease.

One complication that had occurred as a result of John’s central line placement was a blood clot in the right atrium of his heart. While that sounds really scary, the doctors did not seem all that concerned about it! The details of that are way above my pay grade, but John did have this blood clot for about a year before it finally resolved. Re-checking this was another of the follow-up tests we had at the one-year mark.

For me, all this testing meant more anxiety (AKA sanctification), and I found myself continually going back to the Lord for strength and help. Earlier that year, I had begun to have some medical issues. This really isn’t a big surprise, considering the stress level we were under, but these were persistent, and I was having some testing of my own shortly before this one-year mark. Thankfully, there was no serious disease, just a chronic condition that could be managed with diet and/or medication. An unidentified growth in my thyroid brought another scare (when you go through something like this, you think every symptom means cancer), so more testing was in God’s plan for me, too. Again, no serious condition was found, but I did have to have surgery after John’s testing was completed.

Provision Through Many Channels
Overall, it was a crazy-making time, and the stress of waiting for results did nothing to restore my sanity! Praise the Lord though, He was with me every minute! Always by my side, the Lord never allowed me to feel alone or hopeless. There were definitely many desperate days, as my journal from that time attests, but never a moment I felt abandoned or without strength. Our God is an amazing Friend. He always know what is needed, and He always provides it.

For me, that provision came primarily through His Word, but a huge part of it was my church. Not just while we were waiting for results, but throughout that year of treatment my brothers and sisters in our local church body were so faithful in calling, sending emails, texts, letters, always letting us know they were praying. The women’s ministry team frequently checked in to see what we needed, and many individuals showed up at my door with sweet gifts, smiles and “virtual hugs” There were many notes in Facebook Messenger and few days went by that I didn’t hear from someone in my church through one of these channels.

Friends and family were indispensable, too. Our boys were very faithful in keeping in touch with both John and me, and talking to them was always encouraging. My daughter-in-law, my siblings, and several friends all came in turn to get me out of the hospital for lunch or coffee, and those were really sweet times of support and encouragement. My take-away from this? If you know someone who is going through something like this, and you’re not sure whether to “bother” them or not, do it! There were times that I turned down offers for one reason or another, but just knowing people were thinking of us, that we had not been forgotten, was so very precious, and a key factor in our ability to keep going. If the Lord leads you to reach out, you should obey.

The Results
OK, now I will get to the results: In a word, they were perfect! Total remission, 100% donor, no GVHD, and no blood clot! Though there were some anxious moments, there couldn’t have been any better news for us on that day we got the results. God was so faithful to bring us to that one year mark, but I believe I would still be proclaiming His faithfulness even if the results hadn’t been so good. God is who He says He is, regardless of our circumstances. His Word tells us that He is faithful, and we can believe it simply on that basis. But oh, how he shows that faithfulness! I’ve shared with you only a fraction of it in this post. Next time, I’ll give you more details about just how faithful He has been to us, providing so many things we didn’t even ask for, and many that we did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment