Friday, September 12, 2014

Treasure in Broken Hearts

“But we have this treasure in earthen vessels,
that the excellence of the power may be of God
and not of us.” –2 Corinthians 4:7

This verse fascinates me. It is just one example of how different God’s ways and thoughts are from mine (Isaiah 55: 8&9). When I think about where I keep my earthly treasure, I think of banks, safes, and fire boxes. Only strong, safe, insured places get to keep my earthly treasures. I would never place my valuables with someone as weak, sinful, and fallible as I am.
But here, Paul is talking about a totally different kind of treasure. He is talking about the Gospel. The sweet truth that our sins are forgiven because Christ has paid our debt is a treasure beyond anything of earthly value. Yet, God chooses to put it into our hearts—our sin-stained, weak, selfish hearts. Why would He do that? Why would he entrust His most precious gift to us?
There are many ways to answer this question, but my favorite is this: Because He loves us. He saved us because He loves us (John 3:16). He did a work in our hearts so that His treasure would be safe, because He loves us. It is He who sustains and carries our frail earthen vessel so that His gospel can shine through the cracks in it (2 Cor. 12:10). God has prepared our hearts to carry His precious salvation. All we have to do is trust Him to keep it safe.

He is not relying on us to carry His heart in ours. He strengthens, directs, and sustains our hearts so that they are the perfect vessel for His love and grace. There is nothing that we must do to ensure that this treasure is safe. He will do it for us. All we have to do is trust Him. Hallelujah! What a Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment